You May Have To Use An Ignition Interlock Device After An OWI Conviction

Facing an OWI charge in Wisconsin is serious. It can majorly impact your ability to drive and obtain employment and may even lead to jail time. One other penalty that is not as well-known is the requirement of installing an ignition interlock device in your vehicle once you regain your license.

At Lee Law Firm, LLC, we understand that people make mistakes. We work hard to fight for our client’s right to move forward with their lives. Having worked as a prosecutor before starting Lee Law Firm, LLC, our founding attorney has seen both sides of the criminal justice system in the Milwaukee area. She knows what prosecutors and investigators look for and tailors every legal strategy to achieve a better outcome.

Ignition Interlock Devices Can Be More Than Just An Annoyance

An ignition interlock device is installed in your vehicle and requires you to take a breath test before starting your car. If your blood alcohol content is above .02 percent, your vehicle will not start. Typically, those required to use an ignition interlock device must keep it in their vehicle for one year from the day they restore their driving privileges.

An ignition interlock device is mandatory under Wisconsin state law when you refuse to take a chemical blood alcohol test after an OWI arrest or have two or more OWI convictions. You may also have to use an ignition interlock device if your blood alcohol content was .15 percent or more at the time of your arrest.

Aside from the general annoyance of using such a device, you must also cover installation costs, leasing and servicing the device. You must also install the device in all your vehicles, even those you do not mainly use.

We Will Fight For You

Wisconsin takes OWI charges seriously. If you face a conviction for driving under the influence, you must take the right steps to protect your freedom and rights. We understand the importance of maintaining your driving privileges as essential to your daily life. When you work with our lawyers, we will fight for you to minimize the disruption on your life and help you move forward. Contact our Wauwatosa office to schedule a consultation by filling out our online contact form or calling us at 414-567-5631. We can assist you in Hmong and English.